Putin refuses to agree to a full ceasefire despite Trump’s call

Putin refuses to agree to a

Russian President Vladimir Putin has not agreed to a full ceasefire in Ukraine despite US President Donald Trump’s call. The two leaders held a long phone call on Tuesday, but the Russian president only agreed to stop attacks on Ukrainian energy facilities. BBC and Reuters reported. US President Donald Trump spoke to Russian President Putin, calling for a full 30-day ceasefire in Ukraine. However, White House sources said that despite the two leaders talking for a long time on the phone to stop the ongoing war in Ukraine, Putin did not agree to a full ceasefire. However, the Russian president has agreed to stop attacks on Ukrainian energy infrastructure for the time being.

The White House statement after the Trump-Putin phone call said that the two leaders agreed that the peace process would begin with an energy and infrastructure ceasefire. Then there will be discussions on a naval ceasefire in the Black Sea, a full ceasefire and then permanent peace. President Trump said in a post on his Truth social media that his phone call with the Russian leader was “very good and productive” and that many aspects of the peace agreement were discussed.

On Truth social, Trump said, “We have agreed to an immediate ceasefire on all energy and infrastructure. With this understanding, we will quickly work to achieve a full ceasefire and ultimately end the terrible war between Russia and Ukraine.”

The Trump administration has recently held talks with Ukrainian and Russian leaders in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to achieve a ceasefire in Ukraine. Most recently, on Tuesday, the US administration persuaded Ukraine to agree to an “immediate” 30-day ceasefire by land, air and sea.

However, Russian President Vladimir Putin has refused to sign the proposal. Putin has said that a comprehensive ceasefire can only be effective if Ukraine stops providing foreign military aid and intelligence to it. Although Ukraine’s European allies have previously rejected such conditions.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who arrived in Helsinki, Finland, on Tuesday on an official visit shortly after Trump and Putin’s phone call, said that Putin had effectively rejected the proposal for a full ceasefire. Ukraine is aware of the idea of ​​a ceasefire that includes energy infrastructure, but we want to know more details.

Meanwhile, Ukraine and Russia have carried out drone strikes against each other even after the Trump-Putin phone call. Zelensky, accusing them of attacking civilian infrastructure, said that Russia had carried out more than 40 drone strikes against Ukraine within hours of Trump and Putin’s phone call.

The Ukrainian president said that, unfortunately, Russia has hit civilian infrastructure. Among the targets were a hospital in Sumy and power supplies in Sloviansk.

Three years have passed since the Russian invasion and counter-offensive in Ukraine. Last September, Zelensky said that about 80% of Ukraine’s energy infrastructure had been destroyed by Russian bombs.

Related posts

Leave a Comment